Σε συνεργασία με την οργάνωση Prosec, η ΕΛΙΞ σας προτείνει ένα κοινωνικό πρόγραμμα ESC για εφτά μήνες, στην πόλη Lleida της Καταλονίας στην Ισπανία, όπου οι εθελοντές θα υποστηρίξουν τις δράσεις της οργάνωσης αυτής.
Το πρόγραμμα θα ξεκινήσει στις 20 Ιανουαρίου 2019 και θα ολοκληρωθεί στις 7 Σεπτεμβρίου 2019.
Η προθεσμία για αιτήσεις είναι ΑΜΕΣΑ Τρίτη, 4 Δεκεμβρίου 2018!
ESC project: “Educational activities for children and youngsters at risk situations of social exclusion”
General Description of Prosec:
The association Prosec was created in 1987 after analyzing the situation in the historical centre of the city of Lleida. We saw that it was necessary to implement an intervention to assist local youth, and particularly young boys of Roma ethnicity who were experiencing fewer opportunities. The intervention would offer educational programs in their free time.
At present, Prosec develops projects in the field of formal education through the so called “Centers for External Education” (EEC) aimed at supporting teenagers and youth who face difficulties at school. Apart from complementary education, they are offered cooking and technical maintenance workshops where they can use their social abilities and develop their creativity. Furthermore, Prosec develops projects in the field of non-formal education through two Open Centers; educational actions in the street for local children; and sport activities which target a wide range of participants, while providing them with alternative activities for leisure and free time. Finally, Prosec offers pre-labor training and facilitates participants’ entry into employment and access to worthy jobs fitting their abilities. This is carried out by means of labor courses, such as training schools.
To learn more, visit our web page (English)
Volunteers will spend their time in the Open Centers, whose aim is to provide educational activities for children, adolescents and young people from the historic town centre of Lleida. There are two Open Centers, Casal Compania and Casal Remolins, as well as a Street Project, open from 4.00pm to 8.45pm, and the user group consists of children/youngsters aged 6 to 16.
Within the association, the main role of volunteers will be to participate in the preparation and implementation of all the activities of the centre.
These tasks may include the following:
- Attendance and active participation in activity-planning meetings, by suggesting new ideas and activities.
- Participation in daily review sessions which will be held after the implementation of the activities, in order to identify problems and propose ideas to improve programming.
- Leading activities for both children and youth, such as excursions, crafts, homework support, sporting activities, and active promotion of cross-cultural activities, for instance workshops dealing with countries of origin, cultural aspects, etc.
- Maintaining a field diary to keep a record of everything that occurs during their active participation in various initiatives.
- Voluntary participation in all special events carried out by the center, for example campaigns, weekend excursions, field trips, etc.
Volunteers may also participate in the design of specialized projects and activities, e.g. cultural workshops and popular or seasonal celebrations. In addition, they will partake in the daily activities of the centre, like the correction of the educational exercises. The association will also offer Spanish language courses taught by a qualified Spanish teacher. If volunteers wish to do so, they will also have the opportunity to learn Catalan.
You can have a look at a very likely time table by clicking here.
It is worth mentioning that the services provided by volunteers are not substitutes for either current or potential jobs, as the maximum number of employees determined by administrations has already been assigned to all the centers where volunteers are engaged.
ESC Project Description - Logistics
Start date of activities: 20th January 2019
End date of activities: 7th September 2019
Duration: Approx. 7 months
Food allowance: Volunteer will get 170€/month
Local transport: Not needed
Accommodation: Volunteers will live in a four-bedroom apartment shared with other European volunteers. Each volunteer will have private bedroom with shared kitchen, living room and bathroom. The apartment is within walking distance of Prosec office, the Open Centers, restaurants, shopping areas and parks.
Prosec is located in Lleida, a town situated in the autonomous community of Catalonia, Spain. It has a population of 137,387 inhabitants and it is the capital of both the province, with which it shares the same name, and of the Segrià region. In Lleida, as in all Catalonia, there are two official languages, Spanish and Catalan. Catalan is the customary language of the region and it is spoken by the majority of the inhabitants, though Spanish is also widely used and understood by everybody, as it is the second language of Lleida and of the autonomous community as a whole. The economy of the town is based on the service sector, followed by industry, construction and agriculture.
PROSEC headquarters are in the historical old-town area of Lleida. This is the area with the highest concentration of immigrants and ethnic Roma and the majority of the inhabitants have very little disposable income. In recent years, thanks to the promotion of rent-controlled housing and the revitalization of local businesses, the area has become a favorite spot for younger age-groups.
Lleida is well connected by road and motorway and has an important train station that connects it with Barcelona (the capital of Catalonia), Zaragoza and Madrid by means of regular and high-speed trains. Lleida is 156 km from Barcelona and the two centers are well connected, Barcelona being just a one-and-a-half-hour train journey away. Lleida is located two hours from beaches and mountains, hence it really is a great starting point for weekend excursions.
Volunteer Profile & Selection:
Volunteers will spend time in Prosec Open Centers to assist with extra-curricular activities for local children at-risk of social exclusion. The children who attend are from minority communities, from families experiencing socio-economic difficulties, they may experience challenges in the mainstream educational system or may have behavioral issues.
While they are not required to have previous experience working with children, volunteers should be creative, highly motivated and possess a high degree of maturity to assist in delivering activities and managing behavior. Working in the centers can be a very rewarding, yet challenging, experience. Volunteers are also required to have basic level of Spanish, in order to work with our staff in the centers and to communicate with children.
- Availability to volunteer from 20th January to 7th September 2019
- Basic level of Spanish
- Previous experience or motivation for leading activities for children and youth
- Willingness to live abroad for a long period (approx. 7 months)
- Willingness to live in shared accommodation with other volunteers
- Previous experience or motivation for working with socially excluded communities
- High level of maturity, in order to be able to assist in managing children´s behavior
Interested candidates must send a curriculum vitae and a letter outlining their qualifications and motivation.
Volunteers must have a supporting organization based in their country (ELIX Conservation Volunteers Greece), in order to carry out the project.
Selection is performed by the volunteer coordinator, as well as the supervisor of the Open Centers. If the application is accepted, volunteer will be notified by email.
The objectives which motivate us to participate in the European Solidarity Corps as a coordinating and hosting organization are the following:
- Providing the children and the young people who use the Open Centers with better services.
- Offering volunteers the possibility to live intercultural exchange and to have a wider geographical and cultural understanding through contact with other volunteers and locals.
- Enriching the activities and training provided for children and young people
- Giving the chance to live an intercultural experience to the users, the teachers and the other volunteers of the centre.
- Increasing volunteers’ awareness of the true nature of the problems faced by underprivileged people.
- Providing an opportunity to young Europeans to acquaint themselves with a different culture and language, thereby increasing their sense of European citizenship and breaking down some established stereotypes.
- Providing volunteers with valuable knowledge and training for the future, hence improving their opportunities for integration in the job market and facilitating their personal development.
Our motivation for participating in the European Solidarity Corps project has a double character, an organizational one - providing improvements that guarantee better services for our users - and an individual one, aimed at improving European volunteers’ personal development, by providing them with training opportunities.