Position Title: Social Worker
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizen of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing the project "Quality Play-Based Learning and Non-Formal Education, Enhanced Psychosocial Well-Being and Positive Integration for Refugee Children Aged 3-17 Years in Greece" in 12 different locations. Through this project, more than 2,500 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
The overall purpose of the Social Worker is to encourage children’s enrollment in formal school, organise parents workshops, as well as monitor child protection issues and make referrals when needed while providing support to children and their parents in ELIX Learning Centers in camps or urban locations of Attica.
The Social Worker works in collaboration with a team comprising of a Psychologist as well as the Greek and Mother Tongue teachers of two Learning Centers under the direction of a Field Education Officer.
Reports to: Field Education Officer
Duration: Contract duration will be three to six months, depending on the funding and ELIX
organizational needs. The working schedule is on a five day basis, Monday to Friday, full time.
Key role and responsibilities:
Field level support
- Cooperate with members of the team to ensure the effective implementation and coordination of all case management activities.
- Conduct outreach and awareness raising activities to identify vulnerable beneficiaries according to agreed vulnerability criteria. Support the development of appropriate beneficiaries’ protection information materials.
- Cooperate and collaborate with staff implementing activities in locations of interest in order to ensure timely and ongoing case management support for identified vulnerable beneficiaries.
- Collaborate with other actors working in the site in order to raise awareness and receive information on referrals of vulnerable beneficiaries.
- Provide case management services and psychosocial support to beneficiaries at risk of abuse, exploitation, neglect and violence.
- Ensure beneficiaries harmed, or at risk of being harmed, are identified and receive individual case management support by conducting documentation, assessments, case plans, direct service provision, referrals and follow ups for an assigned case load.
- Support beneficiaries through the case management process, supporting access to legal and support services when and if necessary.
- Work closely with other service providers and the ELIX team on management of caseload and referrals.
- Model positive behaviors including conflict resolution and problem solving and provide support in these aspects to team members and other actors as appropriate.
- Participate in case conferences, trainings and case management meetings as necessary.
Documentation and record keeping
- Develop and maintain accurate and clear meetings records and data.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality and information management standards and protocols, sharing information only in compliance with these standards.
- Comply with all relevant ELIX policies and procedures.
Monitoring and Evaluation
Support and participate in program monitoring and evaluation activities as requested.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in Social Work.
- Licence to practice as a Social Worker
- Experience in working with refugee and/or migrant population.
- Knowledge and understanding of the impact of traumatic events on refugee and migrant population, as well as approaches and strategies to support and promote resilience and problem solving.
- Knowledge and experience of community work.
- Knowledge and experience of supporting families and delivering training/support in positive parenting approaches.
- Good working knowledge of national and international legal frameworks and conventions related to care and protection.
- Knowledge and understanding of migration and asylum legislation, policies and practices in Greece and the European Union.
- Able to work as a member of a team
- Able to work to tight deadlines under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken
- Strong computer skills.
Knowledge of other relevant languages will be considered an asset e.g. Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, Kurmanji
Competencies for this role:
Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 18th November 2019.