ELIX begun the implementation of "The Learning for Integration Project: Quality Learning and Non-Formal Education for Refugee and Migrant Children and Adults in Greece" in March 2019 with the support of UNICEF,International Organization for Migration (IOM) and DG Migration and Home Affairs of EC (DG HOME).
The project builds upon ELIX’s previous experience on the field and more specifically on the educational projects for refugee and migrant children in Greece that ELIX has been implementing since 2016.
The aim of this project is to provide tailor-made non-formal education and homework support to refugees and migrants, children and adults, in order to provide them with all the necessary skills and knowledge and facilitate in this way their smooth integration.
The project is designed to provide day-to-day coverage of the educational needs, through a matrix of classes and activities that will help them achieve their full potentials.
The project will provide:
- Homework support: in coherence with formal education, providing homework support and remedial education through Greek and mother tongue teachers
- Language and life-skills education for out-of-school children, including unaccompanied children: for those who are still on the move, and those who are not accessing formal education
- Early childhood education: much needed psychosocial support, cognitive and socioemotional development and school readiness
- Promotion of adult/ parents’ integration: through sensitization, language course and social integration activities
- Promotion of digital learning and the blended learning approach: through the use of tablets and the piloting of the Akelius language learning platform
- Teachers’ capacity building training and seminars: knowledge accumulated since 2016 by ELIX teachers can contribute to formal school teacher training and to the Greek education system which supports refugee integration in schools.
The project is being implemented in: The Open Accommodation Site of Eleonas, the Education Centre of ELIX in Patison Str, and in Primary Schools of the Municipality of Athens, the 51st (Akominatou 40) and the 99th School (Igias 11), where the project is being implemented in the framework of "Athens Open Schools" Project with founding donor the Stavros Niarchos Foundation.