Position title: Field Education Officer Lesvos (EDU-FEO-LESVOS)
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizen of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing the project "Quality Play-Based Learning and Non-Formal Education, Enhanced Psychosocial Well-Being and Positive Integration for Refugee Children Aged 3-17 Years in Greece" in 12 different locations. Through this project, more than 2,500 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
Role Purpose: The Field Education Coordinator will effectively implement and oversee ELIX’s educational activities. With the guidance of the Education Coordinator, the Field Education Officer will manage, organise and monitor the implementation of the educational activities in Lesvos. S/he will work with a team of Teachers and ensure that educational activities are provided on time according to the agreed educational curriculum and approach and following the quality standards set by “The Learning for Integration Project”.
Reports to: Field Coordinator for organisational issues, and Education Coordinator for educational issues.
Staff reporting to this post: 20 or more Teachers.
Duration: Contract duration will be three months, depending on the funding and ELIX organizational needs. The working schedule is on a five day basis, Monday to Friday, full time.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Support set-up of temporary learning spaces in the learning center, and oversee delivery of non-formal education by the team of teachers.
- Act as an educational leader, finding ways of improving learning outcomes for all students.
- Coordinate with the Learning Center Officers for students registrations and assessments and ensure optimum groups are formed at each Learning Center to achieve the Project’s educational targets.
- Ensure most appropriate allocation of newly-registered students to groups.
- Organise Teachers Learning Circles (TLCs) daily schedule at each Learning Center and ensure support of all teachers by sharing good practices and material, discuss specific cases when needed, coordinating with the Psychologist and Social Worker for the enhancement of the teachers’ well-being and communicating teacher’s needs to the Education
- Coordinator and the Project Coordinator Assistant.
- Mentor and coach less experienced teachers, providing guidance to improve their performance.
- Work closely with the Psychologist and the Social Worker to ensure a joined-up approach to the provision of both psychosocial support and learning to children, maximizing access to both.
- Work with teachers, with the support of the Education Coordinator, and based on the needs of children and design a weekly timetable of classes.
- With support from the Education Coordinator, develop, implement and monitor quarterly, monthly and weekly activity plans to achieve expected results. This includes planning of activities, budgets and procurement.
- Ensure that all planned activities are implemented on time, to quality measures and within budget as per the monthly plan. Where challenges arise, ensure that these are flagged early, communicated to the Education Coordinator and addressed in a timely manner.
- Support the Learning Center Officers to prepare procurement and administrative documents required for the implementation of activities in the assigned Learning Centers.
- Support the Education Coordinator in strengthening community participation and engagement, setting up Parents and Teachers Associations (PTAs) and student councils.
- Work with teachers and community (leaders, parents) to increase education service provision, disseminate information, and identify any barriers to children accessing non-formal education.
- Keep proper records of field expenditures when appropriate and report on these to the Education Coordinator.
- Ensure that the Education program is implemented in ways that are responsive to communities and children, in line with ELIX principles, values and strategic plan and compliant with ELIX procedures.
- Supervise and mentor the teachers, including conducting performance reviews and supporting staff and volunteers to set performance objectives.
- Support the Education Coordinator in planning and delivery of capacity building training for teachers and other relevant stakeholders.
- Gain technical knowledge on education and other relevant areas, in order to provide support and trainings to the teachers to maintain the standards and improve the quality of activities.
- Identify any staffing issues and coordinate closely with the Coordinators to resolve them.
- Contribute to the preparation of internal and external reports
- Participate in team reviews of results and program progress and/or project evaluation when and as requested
- Represent ELIX in a professional manner.
- Work closely with Ministry of Education Focal point staff at a learning center level, to ensure access to learning and recreational activities is maximized, and referrals are made.
- Collaborate with other Education Officers, sharing learning and finding common solutions to common challenges, and with the support of the Education Coordinator, ensure that programming is consistent across locations.
- Liaise with stakeholders, including local government, schools, NGOs and communities, participating in relevant meetings and representing ELIX and our programming as appropriate.
- Participates in Education related meetings when necessary.
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Education Studies or relevant field
- A minimum of three years professional experience in the education sector e.g. working in a school environment or not-for-profit education projects, or as a teacher
- Proven technical knowledge and skills in the field of education
- Experience of management a group of teachers
- Demonstrated commitment to improving the lives of children in the school and community.
- Strong understanding of the current context for refugees and migrants in Greece
- Knowledge of the national Greek educational system
- Strong organizational skills, with experience of project administration and monitoring
- Fluent in Greek
- Strong verbal and written English skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others
- Strong reporting skills
- Good computer skills
- Commitment to the aims and principles of ELIX. A good understanding of the ELIX mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Experience working in an emergency/humanitarian context
- Experience working with refugee/ asylum-seeking children or disadvantaged/ vulnerable groups
- Hold a clean driving license and are able to travel independently.
Competencies for this role:
Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Interested? Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 25th October 2020