Position Title: Psychologist
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizen of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing the project "Quality Play-Based Learning and Non-Formal Education, Enhanced Psychosocial Well-Being and Positive Integration for Refugee Children Aged 3-17 Years in Greece" in 12 different locations. Through this project, more than 2,500 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
The overall purpose of the Psychologist is to perform regular screening, directly or indirectly, for mental health issues among beneficiaries or project staff and provide psychosocial support through appropriate activities such as psychological first aid, psychoeducation, health promotion and group interventions within ELIX Learning Centers in camps or urban locations of Attica.
The Psychologist works in collaboration with a team comprising of a Social Worker as well as the Greek and Mother Tongue teachers of two Learning Centers under the direction of a Field Education Officer.
Reports to: Field Education Officer
Duration: Contract duration will be three to six months, depending on the funding and ELIX
organizational needs. The working schedule is on a five day basis, Monday to Friday, full time.
Key role and responsibilities:
- Cooperate with members of the team to ensure the effective implementation and coordination of all case management activities.
- Conduct assessments of the psychosocial and/or psychological needs of beneficiaries and design appropriate group intervention strategies in line with standards relating to mental health and psychosocial support.
- Provide support to individual beneficiaries through ongoing individual support, group interventions, referral to special psychological/ psychiatric/ medical services for further assessment/ treatment or referral to other service providers.
- Participate in, and support, the implementation of activities to promote the psychosocial well-being of beneficiaries.
- Model positive behaviors, including conflict resolution and problem solving and provide support in these aspects to team members as appropriate.
- Participate in case conferences, trainings and case management meetings as necessary.
- Act as a resource to team members on the provision of Psychological First Aid (PFA) as necessary.
Documentation and record keeping
- Develop and maintain accurate and clear meetings records.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality and information management standards and protocols, sharing information only in compliance with these standards;
- Comply with all relevant ELIX policies and procedures.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Support and participate in programme monitoring and evaluation activities as requested.
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Psychology.
- Experience in working within an educational context.
- Experience in working with refugee and/or migrant population.
- Knowledge and understanding of the impact of traumatic events on refugee and migrant population, as well as approaches and strategies to support and promote resilience and problem solving.
- Knowledge and experience of supporting families and delivering training/support in positive parenting approaches.
- Good working knowledge of national and international legal frameworks and conventions related to care and protection.
- Knowledge and understanding of migration and asylum legislation, policies and practices in Greece and the European Union.
- Able to work as a member of a team
- Able to work to tight deadlines under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken
- Strong computer skills, including the use of Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of other relevant languages will be considered an asset e.g. Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, Kurmanji
Competencies for this role:
Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 27th October 2017